Like many others who have moved here, Jewish people have integrated into the city, establishing families, homes, jobs and community organisations.
A small Jewish community grew around the raincoat factory built in Fleetville, to the east of the city, by Alfred John Nicholson in 1901. Nicholson built houses for his workers and employed several Jewish tailors, some of whom had escaped religious persecution in Europe.
Many Jewish families who settled in St Albans during the 1930s and 1940s were in the retail trade, as can be seen in this map of some businesses they established.
During this period the first synagogue was founded in the city - the United (Orthodox) Synagogue. This was followed by the St Albans Masorti Synagogue in 1990.